On Saturday my girlfriends and I got together for our first monthly Crafturday. We have started a tradition of picking out a craft to do together for a girl’s day out. This month was Tie Dye. I gathered the supplies and had the girls bring whatever they wanted to dye. It was a huge success!
I thought I would give a tutorial on how we did our dying for those of you that would like to host your own get together. I recommend doing this in a group with the cost of supplies for multiple colors and the effort of mixing everything up you might as well do a lot of items.
Supplies we used:
RIT liquid dye ($3.99) 8 oz. bottle makes 6 gallons
RIT powder dye ($2.29) one package makes 3 gallons
White items to dye (at least 60% cotton)
Rubber bands/thread/dental floss for wrapping
FOLLOW the basic tie dying instructions on the RIT site.
CREATE your patterns. Check out the images below for links to instructions on each pattern. Also check out Art, Craft & Design Blog for instructional videos.
PRE-WASH all items ahead of time.
WEAR rubber gloves. I forgot to put gloves on when I did my first item. I used orange and I ended up with Oompa Loompa hands.
BATH VS. BOTTLE I found that dunking in the bath gave brighter, more vibrant results than squirting with the bottle but had more control over where the dye went with the bottles. Use a higher concentration of dye with the bottles for better results.
WRAP the items in plastic bags and let sit. If hot sun is available sit outside for 4-5 hours otherwise let sit for 24 hours.
RINSE items in cold water to remove excess dye. Remove rubber bands and rinse in cold water again.
WASH in warm water with detergent and machine or hang dry.
I will give an update as to how these stand up through washings and how much they fade.
Our creations (Titles are linked to instructions):
Savannah did the top left by stitching the sides as shown in the Side Shibori. I created the bottom left and onesie by stitching across the bottom and sleeves.
Here are a few examples of the most classic tie dye technique, circles. Savannah and I tried the side circle while Joni went circle crazy on her fitted sheet that turned out amazing. Cassie’s colorful bulls eye was very vibrant and we learned from Joni and Savannah’s random circles that lots of rubber bands and colors makes for a beautiful kaleidoscope. Lastly, I tried the random circles in a solid color. I found to achieve the defined white circles tie the rubber bands really tight.
With 3 new babies in our group this year Emily, Jamie and Adriane had to do some onesies for the kiddos. These were all done on a diagonal. Savannah and Cassie had better success with their t-shirts than Adriane and I had with our sweatshirts. We ended up with more white on them then we had wanted. We should have let them soak up more dye. Thanks to Joni’s suggestion I decided to re-fold mine the opposite way to achieve a plaid effect and gave it another dunk. The tanks were done similarly but more randomly gathered than precisely folded back and forth.
Jamie ended up with an adorable bed sheet for her changing table and Adriane got an incredible result with this vibrant onesie.
There are the results of our wonderful craft day. We had so much fun together and we are already talking about our December Crafturday as well as doing Tie Dye again. Please comment with any questions or comments. I would love to see your results from your Tie Dye adventures.